Sunday, October 28, 2007

First boil

For a few years I've been interested in making my own beer.

However, about 3-1/2 years ago I came down sick, to the point just doing anything was an issue.
Now I'm doing better. Almost recovered.

Naturally, my interest in brewing rekindled and the wife said "Shut up, and just do it, would you!"
(kinda like sex, but, that's a different blog :))

So, I bought a home brew set from William's Brewing with an English Bitter kit.

Saturday, the 20th, I brewed my first batch; after spending the weekend before "disinfecting" the entire kitchen area.

Notes:

It took longer to get the initial boil than anticipated.
It took longer to get the return to boil after adding the malt extract.
Be sure next time to get the malt extract out of the refrigerator in plenty of time to come to room temperature before using.
Clean the airlock before using it.
Be sure to really aerate the wort before pitching.

The OG was 1.044

No comments: